Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Thinking Like A Retailer (Part 1)

Are You Thinking Like A Retailer?
One of the greatest concepts that Mary Kay had given to the sales force was the concept of Think Like a Retailer. At the time I was a newbie. I had just gotten my starter kit, I had gone to two unit meetings and had received some valuable (and much needed training) and I had been on the "Inventory Phone Call"  with such things to consider as a) What was my beginning or proposed customer base b) How much inventory would I need c) How much inventory could I reasonably afford d) financing options.  As it happened, a small inventory order was keyed in and released to Mary Kay Corp. in my name, paid with another's credit card and sent to my home address. That incident was not without its' problems but it got me to thinking about one of the major selling concepts of that season: Think Like a Retailer. So, I looked at one of my Favorites at the time, JC Penney. It Begged the Question, What did JC Penney have that my Mary Kay Business did not have or more to the point, What Were the Tools I Needed to be Just Like JC Penney. 




Tool 1 - Sales/Work Force



Well I guess you know that I had that covered. I was the sales force, the inventory clerk and the COO and CFO of my Mary Kay Business. I was also the scheduler, laundress, cook and everything else for my family, until I learned how to be my family's Chief Delegator. 

Tool 2 - Inventory

As it happened I did get inventory. After all as per one of Mary Kay's True-isms - "You Can't Sell From an Empty Wagon". I have also heard it said that JC Penney did not run to Sears (or Macy's) to buy dresses when a customer needed one so... in my mind having inventory was part of the process.

Tool 3 - Marketing
You Have the Right Tools!

Well, Mary Kay had that covered. The greatest marketing tool was the quarterly catalog. This was good for demonstrations as well as for mailers and out and about chatting (Mary Kay culture called this Warm Chatter. Party Plan Diva's calls this Gardening). Another important marketing tool was the consultant business card. This plus the catalog and you were legit. 

Tool 4 - The Website

Mary Kay provides (for consultants) a replicated website or what I called The Store Front. This was great because now I could take orders 24/7. Not only that but the company provided an option for customers to sign up for an email newsletter which went out twice a month. 

Tool 5 - Confidence and Enthusiasm

Well, that one was learned. I had confidence aplenty, but the truth is, when you start something new, you are intimidated a little (or a lot). So in Mary Kay fashion Fake it 'til You Make It, became my mantra. And that's what I did. My enthusiasm though was genuine, born from my confidence in the product. Another Mary Kay True-ism here was Enthusiasm is the greatest tool. "After all the last four letters are IASM (I Am Sold Myself)"

Thinking Like a Retailer, a concept learned at Mary Kay netted some valueable lessons along the way. 

1) A Smile - and a Kind word Invites people in, though they don't know it yet.
2) Delegate - all the jobs which do not bring you closer (in your business, though it can be and often is transferred to other spheres of life) to where you want to be.
3) Use -  and Embrace Whatever tools you have available to you.
4) Learn - As much as you can about the business you are in.

5) Technology - Don't get caught without it and don't be afraid to use it.

We must be ADULT about this business and treat our business like a business. And to quote a Mary Kay Expression,  We Must "Put on our Big Girl Panties" and Think Like A Retailer.



Tell us what you think. If you found value or if this post resonated with you on some level Please Leave a Comment or Follow Me on Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment