Saturday, April 28, 2018

Out of Fashion or Old Fashioned

The other day I went shopping with my sister Sharon. Not a remarkeble incident; just your everyday, two sisters hanging out type of thing. Anyway... We went into this clothing store, and  I noticed some sundresses hanging by a clothing round. One dress in particular caught my attention. I thought the print was very pretty. I thought the shape of the dress was nice. I thought the straps may have been a little flimsy. And then I decided to feel the material. I got the shock of my life. No exaggeration here! When did they decide to make sundresses out of night gown material? You know, the type of flimsy, nylon material used for "silk - like" panties and nightgowns. Oh my goodness. What have women been excepting as clothing? Is this world so obcessed with sex that it now expects and excepts women to walk around in nightgowns? Do women really want their clothing to say "jump me"?  Or... and here is the horrifying thing... Am I just Out of Fashion or just too old fashioned? And another thing... When has it become o.k. for people to parade around in their pajamas? I am talking about the fuzzy flannel pj's and the soft pima cotton pj's and of all things "baby doll's.  No joke... The other day, I saw a teeny bopper, a junior high school girl, going to school in what looked like baby doll pajamas! Two questions: Where was her mother and Did her mother buy the "outfit" for her daughter? 


I don't know, maybe because I am from the "roll out of bed" wrinkled blue jeans generation that I  find the pj thing offensive. Or maybe, it is just the over sexualization and objectifying of women I find offensive. Don't get me wrong. I think being beutiful with a hint of sexiness is every woman's right. And if she feels good in the process, so much the better. But, this "jump me" attitude, that is now found in women's clothing is just a little too much. Ladies, ask yourselves this question? Is it all right for my 16 year old daughter (sister, niece, friend's child, whatever) ? Now, slowly decrease that age number. You know, 13, 11, 10, etc. When does the bedroom look become unacceptable and inappropriate? And then ask, Where does the bedroom look become unacceptable? Can you really go on a job interview in something that looks like pajamas? Can you go to the movies, to class, a restaurant, the ball park, wherever in pajamas?

Our standards have become so lowered, that we have come to accept mediocrity. It's the whatever attitude that has allowed the clothing manufacturer's to give us sub-stantdard materials so that we buy throw away fashions at a high price, and I am not talking about the high price that young women pay everyday because they are victimized with teasing because of a negative body image or raped because they appear to be "easy" because of the overly revealing clothing. What ever happened to quality, refinement, and decency? I don't know... Maybe it's just me or maybe I am just plain old fashioned and out of fashion.




Please Leave a Comment. We'd love to hear from you!

Please share this post if you were affected by this or if it has caused you to think.

Don't forget to Follow Me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment